Monday, April 27, 2009

No Burp Back Education

When I first heard about No “Burp Back” Education I had no idea what it was insinuating. After doing some reading on it I now understand what it is talking about. Being a teacher is not just about making sure your students know facts. The goal of teaching students information is that they can think and process it on their own.

No “Burp Back” Education is discussing the teachers who give all the facts that the students need to know to get A’s on their test. The teachers who go over something over and over again to make sure that it is drilled in their students head. Evidence shows that this is pointless and you are just wasting your time because once the students have taken the quiz or test they forget the information.

Dr. Strange states it best when he says “… not to teach and test for information but rather to teach students how to ask questions, describe things or events, compare and contrast what they describe, and make arguments for and against a variety of propositions.” It is important to make your students use their critical thinking skills because sooner or later they are going to need them.

I will definitely consider the No “Burp Back” Education once I become a teacher. I think it is a great idea on how to teach your students and I look forward to trying it out someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment